Homeschool Kids
Hand In Hand Education

Special Needs
About Us


General High School Information

Grades, Diplomas, and Transcripts

PSAT, SAT, ACT, AP, and more

Preparing for College


Maryland Homeschoolers and Work Permits

Hand In Hand now has a registered Division of Labor and Industry Issuing Officer on staff. We are pleased to offer all Maryland families who are members of Hand In Hand the opportunity to obtain a work permit with ease.

Before anyone between the ages of 14 and 18 may begin to work a job in the State of Maryland, they must first be offered a specific job AND complete the following steps:

  1. Print a copy of the work permit application.
  2. Complete the To the Minor section.
  3. Have your employer complete and sign the To the Employer section.
  4. Have your parent or guardian sign and date your application after they review it.
  5. Make an appointment with Hand in Hand to have your work permit application reviewed and verified. You may also call 410-236-1927 to make an appointment.
  6. Bring your completed work permit application and at least one of the following documents to use as proof of age:
    • birth certificate
    • valid Maryland driver's license
    • valid Maryland state identification card
    • current passport
    • any official government document that contains your date of birth
  7. Take your approved work permit that you receive from Hand In Hand's Issuing Officer to your employer.
  8. Begin working!

If you are offered a different job with the same employer, you will need to apply for a new work permit before you can begin the new job.

Fast Facts on Maryland Work Permits

  • Children under the age of 14 who wish to work as a model, performer, or entertainer may obtain a work permit directly from the Division of Labor and Industry's Commissioner. Call 410-767-2239 for more information.
  • Children under the age of 18 do not need a work permit for the following jobs IF the work takes place outside of the regular school day:
    • delivering newspapers
    • farm work performed on a farm
    • work performed in a business owned by the parent
    • work performed by unpaid volunteers for a charitable or non-profit organization, with the written consent of the parent
    • caddying on a golf course
    • work performed as a counselor, assistant counselor or instructor at a youth camp certified under the Maryland Youth Camp
    • domestic work performed in or about a home
    • hazardous work performed by unpaid volunteers of a volunteer fire department who have completed coursework relating to fire fighting or rescue AND the child is at least 16 years old

  • 14 and 15 year old CANNOT:
    • Work more than 4 hours on any day when school is in session
    • Work more than 8 hours on any day when school is not in session
    • Work more than 23 hours in any week when school is in session
    • Work more than 40 hours in any week when school is not in session
    • Work before 7:00 a.m. or after 8:00 p.m.. Minors may work until 9:00 p.m. from Memorial Day to Labor Day
    • Work more than 5 consecutive hours without a non-working period of 30-minutes

  • 16 and 17 year olds:
    • May spend no more than 12 hours in combination of school hours and work hours each day.
    • Must be allowed at least 8 consecutive hours of non-work, on-school time in each 24 hour period.
    • May not be permitted to work more than 5 consecutive hours without a non-working period of at least 30 minutes

For the sake of accuracy, portions of this page have been taken directly from the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing, and Regulation's Division of Labor and Industry's Employment of Minors (Work Permits) webpage.


August 20, 2017


© 2016       E-mail: Hand In Hand Education     |     Privacy Policy     |         Contact Us                                         Last Updated July 01, 2012